Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith has done most of his rehab work indoors, but head coach Ron Rivera hopes to have Smith and the other two injured starters on the field next week and playing in the Jan. 12 divisional-round playoff game.
Smith sprained the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in Week 16 against the Saints and missed the regular-season finale at Atlanta. Running back Jonathan Stewart has missed three games with a sprained MCL, and defensive tackle Colin Cole sat out the Atlanta game with a strained calf.
Next week well get them out on the field and then integrate them on Wednesday, Rivera said. Theyve been getting treatment.
Smith has been doing treadmill, elliptical and underwater treadmill work. But he has not yet said hell be ready for the Jan. 12 playoff game.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.