Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments

Gastonia fire destroys house; heating system malfunction blamed

  • http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/01/06/11/27/pxwFC.Em.138.jpeg|211
    - Courtesy of the GASTONIA FIRE DEPARTMENT
    The Gastonia Fire Department responded to this house fire at 2115 Lowell Bethesda Road at 6 a.m. on Monday morning. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire and smoke conditions from the roof area of the house. It took 24 firefighters 20 minutes to control the fire. The Gastonia Fire Marshal's Office determined the cause of the fire was due to a malfunction in the heating system which was located in the attic.
  • http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/01/06/11/27/IIn2q.Em.138.jpeg|316
    - Courtesy of the GASTONIA FIRE DEPARTMENT
    The Gastonia Fire Department responded to this house fire at 2115 Lowell Bethesda Road at 6 a.m. on Monday morning. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire and smoke conditions from the roof area of the house. It took 24 firefighters 20 minutes to control the fire. The Gastonia Fire Marshal's Office determined the cause of the fire was due to a malfunction in the heating system which was located in the attic.

A fire caused by a heating system malfunction destroyed a Gastonia home early Monday. No one was hurt in the blaze that took 24 firefighters 20 minutes to control, the Gastonia Fire Department reported.

Firefighters responded to the house fire at 2115 Lowell Bethesda Road at 6 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire and smoke conditions from the roof area of the house.

The Gastonia Fire Marshal's Office determined the cause of the fire was a malfunction in the heating system, which was located in the attic.

The house is a total loss with an estimated $150,000 in value, the department says.

Jim Landis, public information officer for the department, reports that the family was at home at the time of the fire. The mother heard popping noises in the ceiling and woke her husband and two children and got them out of the house unharmed. The family dog was also able to get out safely.

Heating devices are the second leading cause of house fires in the country following cooking related fires, Landis reports. The department wants to remind homeowners to have their heating devices checked annually by a certified technician to ensure they are functioning properly.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
Your 2 Cents
Share your opinion with our Partners
Learn More
CharlotteObserver.com