SANTA CLARA, Calif. Before becoming the San Francisco 49ers coach, Jim Harbaugh had great success as Stanfords coach. But he failed to sign a bookworm linebacker out of Ohio who could have made a big difference.
Harbaugh calls missing out on that linebacker now Panthers star Luke Kuechly tragic.
Everything was great out there, but it felt so far away, Kuechly told Bay Area media Wednesday of choosing Boston College over the Cardinal. They always say a plane flight is a plane flight, but it was a long plane flight. My parents wouldnt be able to get to many games. At (Boston College) on the East Coast they were able to get to a lot of games in the ACC. The distance more than anything was the deal.
Kuechly said the next time he met Harbaugh at the NFL scouting combine of course Harbaugh razzed him a little about choosing the Eagles but it was all in fun.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.