The Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an early Saturday shooting in the Coventry subdivision.
No one was seriously hurt.
Because much of the subdivision is in Mecklenburg County, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police first responded to a call about a shooting about 12:30 a.m., according to a release from the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office. The incident actually happened in Cabarrus County.
Three teenagers were reportedly sitting and talking on a jungle gym next to the subdivision’s pool house when a car drove up about 40 yards from them. The driver turned off the headlights and someone in the car fired one shot near them, the release said.
The bullet apparently hit an object that caused the bullet to shatter, and some fragments struck Alibrae Jones, 18, of Indian Trail, in the jaw.
He went to Carolinas Medical Center-University and was later released. The other two teens were not injured.
One of them, Lafayette Harris, 19, lives in the subdivision, which is why investigators believe they were there. The Sheriff’s Office did not name the third teen, who is 17.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 704-920-3057.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.