Robin Freeman, a school volunteer and professional fund-raiser, has been hired as executive director of East Mecklenburg Highs All Star Teacher Initiative.
The initiative has been providing support to teachers since 2007, using private money to help teachers buy classroom supplies, send teachers to professional conferences and provide grants for educational projects. It began with a 2005 offer by alumnus Bob Silver to donate $500,000 if the East Meck community could match that amount.
Joan OBrien, who signed on as director at the start of the project, recently left East Meck to launch a similar effort at Olympic High.
The East Mecklenburg High School Foundation hired Freeman, who has worked for Thompson Childrens Home and Levine Museum of the New South, at a salary of $25,000 a year. She is a volunteer at Rama Road Elementary in the East Meck zone.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.