ROCK HILL A fire that killed a 98-year-old Rock Hill man on Thursday started when the victim apparently tried to dismantle a propane cylinder for scrap metal, the Rock Hill Fire Department said Monday.
Fred Cathcart apparently thought the 25-pound propane cylinder was empty, Battalion Chief Rusty Myers said. When the cylinder head was dismantled, propane gas under heavy pressure was released. That caused an explosion and fire.
The blaze has been ruled an accident.
The fire started just before noon on Thursday. Neighbors said they heard an explosion seconds before flames engulfed Cathcarts home at 1132 Hoyle St. in the Boyd Hill neighborhood.
Alice Crockett Wilson, 54, who rented a room in Cathcarts house was severely burned in the fire. She remained in fair condition Monday at a North Carolina burn center.
Wilson, who was burned on the left side of her body, was taken by helicopter to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem. She has been in fair condition since being upgraded from serious condition on Friday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
The fire department said that unless more information is received, its report is finished.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less