The film tells a powerful story of a man (Forest Whitaker) who goes from picking cotton to working as a butler in the White House.
Basically the same take on the Stephen King novel as was done in the 1976 horror film, this time with Chloë Grace Moretz.
Through smart writing, the film slowly becomes a horror thriller that will have you questioning who is evil and who is good.
‘The Spectacular Now’
A powerful look at the pains of being a teen, told through first-rate performances.
Also out this week
“Riddick:” Vin Diesel is back playing the antihero.
“Enough Said:” Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini star in this story of complicated relationships.
“Fruitvale Station:” Based on the true story of a young man who was killed by a BART police officer in Oakland, Calif.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.