A 75-year-old Iredell County woman died in an electrical fire in her home early Monday, Iredell County Deputy Fire Marshal Thomas Moore said.
Firefighters found the body of Sarah Stamper in the master bedroom of her home at 130 Buck Lane, in the western part of the county. She was found a few feet from her bed, Moore said in a news release.
Fire officials have ruled the fire an accident due to “electrical issues” in the master bedroom, Moore’s statement said. Moore said fire officials don’t know whether a frayed wire, faulty outlet or which other electrical issue caused the fire, but all evidence as to where the fire started points to it having been an electrical cause.
in the room tcouldn’t immediately be reached Tuesday to explain the electrical issues involved.
The fire caused about $150,000 in damages to the house and its contents, Moore said in the release.
A motorist on nearby Interstate 40 reported the fire at 5:10 a.m., Moore said.
The first unit to arrive from the West Iredell Volunteer Fire Department reported that the single-story brick house was already 70 percent engulfed.
Marusak: 704-358-5067; Twitter: @jmarusak
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less