Q: Are ventless fireplaces safe? – Beverly S., Macomb, Mich.
A: The safety of ventless fireplaces has sparked debate for quite some time now.
The answer to your question depends largely on whom you talk with. Some fireplace experts our team spoke with are against using them for health reasons, while others say there are very few safety concerns and many benefits that come with using ventless systems.
California is the only state that has banned ventless fireplaces completely, but other jurisdictions have limited their use. In North Carolina and Washington, D.C., for example, they are prohibited in bedrooms and bathrooms to prevent excess carbon monoxide from building up in small areas.
Carbon monoxide, which can be deadly, is among the unburned combustion products that are vented into the home from ventless fireplaces, according to the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors.
However, most ventless fireplaces are installed with an oxygen-detection sensor that will turn the fireplace off if oxygen levels in the home become too low. But opponents say there are no safety nets in the case the detection sensor fails. A reduction in oxygen is more dangerous for people with respiratory illnesses or young children.
Other service providers say ventless fireplaces can release water vapor and produce a burning gas odor. But federal regulations state that the byproducts’ emission levels are safe.
Some installers of the ventless systems say there’s not much difference between running gas stove burners – which don’t have oxygen sensors – for long periods of time and using a ventless fireplace. If they’re installed correctly and serviced each year, they should run fine and not be a danger, they say.
Ventless systems are generally designed only to be used as a supplemental heating source and should not be run for long stretches.
Ventless systems, which do not have a chimney, also have a reputation of running more efficiently. They are generally cheaper, too. The systems can range in price from $2,500-$4,000, while a typical vented unit often goes for $5,000-$6,000.
Either way, make sure to do plenty of research before deciding what’s best for you.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less