Ridge Road Middle’s team successfully defended its state championship title in the Justice Iredell Middle School Mock Trial Tournament.
The team of sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders qualified for the state finals by winning the Southern Piedmont region for the third year in a row. They next compete as part of the top four teams in North Carolina against the top four teams from South Carolina in the Battle of the Carolinas March 28-29 in Conway, S.C.
Team members: Mackenzie Hall, Jayla Joyner, Hassan Khan, Caroline Kropka, Lindsey Moore, Jayva Owens, Grace Poteat, Madeline Pryor, Katelyn Refsnider, Zinyah Robinson, Ella Rowland, Kaila Sanders, Laney Skeen, Lamont Tucker, Christopher Wheeler, Hannah White and Anthony Williams.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.