For Foodie Eyes Only
Posted: Friday, Jan. 24, 2014
Chef Troy Gagliardo
"Chef Troy" Gagliardo hosts a weekly cooking segment called "Troy's Everyday Eats" live every Tuesday on WCCB News Rising from 7 to 9 a.m. He has made over 300 appearances on the show showcasing over 1000 of his unique original recipes. He was also voted one of the Top Five best chefs in Charlotte in 2013. Troy has penned a cookbook called Pseudo Southern, which has been endorsed by celebrity chef and best selling author Fabio Viviani. His business Motown Spice Provisions supplies some of the top restaurants and country clubs in the greater Charlotte area for the past 10 years. He is a self-taught chef who learned early on the importance of family and food, and the connection between both, from his parents and grandparents. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.cheftroy.net, and follow Troy on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Who doesnt love pizza? If there is such a person I would love to meet them, so we could do studies on them to see what planet they are from; and I am only kind of kidding. Pizza is the perfect food not only because it taste great, but because it is a blank canvas for any flavor or style of food.
There are a few of really important factors to any great pizza; dough, sauce, cheese. Great pizza dough is easy to do with the right recipe, which I have supplied below and appropriately titled the best pizza dough ever. This dough recipe was given to me by a close friend of mine and was passed on to her from her father over 50 years ago. If you dont feel like you are ready to make your own pizza dough, stop by your favorite pizza place and purchase a couple dough balls.
Sauce is a taste preference, but a good one is tangy and simple. A slash of olive oil, a clove or two of garlic, a can of crushed tomatoes, a pinch of salt, pepper and sugar is really all you need. Bring it to a simmer, cool completely and you are all set. Something as simple an olive oil can be a sauce and makes for a lighter pizza and goes perfectly with vegetables.
Cheese is limitless and also preference, literally any cheese will do well except may be American cheese (not really cheese). Whether the cheese you choose is crumbled, grated or shredded, use it sparingly as a great pizza is perfectly balanced with just the right amount of topping and thickness of dough.
Here is a recipe for a pizza I devoured recently in Las Vegas. I completely fell in love with the concept and flavor profile. So much so that I wanted to home make the lamb chorizo and is simply put together with the recipe below. Mexican Chorizo is a good substitute and if you cant find rapini (broccoli rabe) use broccoli florets trimmed into small pieces.
Lastly for a perfectly baked pizza you need a pizza stone. Preheat your oven fitted with the pizza stone to 500 degrees at least 30 minutes before baking pizzas. This will ensure an evenly cooked pizza, crispy crust and perfectly melted cheese. Resist the temptation of opening the oven. Let it do its thing and if you want to take a peek, look through the glass. Your pizza will be at it perfect moment, golden and gooey 7 to 10 minutes of intense heat.
For more great recipe ideas and recipes watch Chef Troy on WCCB News Rising every Tuesday morning from 7-9 am and visit www.cheftroy.net.
Lamb Chorizo Sausage-Goat Cheese-Rapini
1 Pound-Ground lamb-cooked, drained, crumbled
3 Cloves-Garlic Cloves-smashed into a paste
3 Tablespoons-Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Teaspoons-Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon-Dry Oregano
2 Each-Pizza Dough Balls-12-14 ounce (store bought or see recipe below)
1 Bunch-Rapini-Broccoli Rabe-cut into bit size pieces
2 Tablespoons-Olive Oil-plus extra
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper/ Crushed Red Pepper
6 Ounces-Goat Cheese-crumbled
1. Combine ingredients for sausage and refrigerate for at least one hour, covered.
2. Warm a sauté pan over medium high heat.
3. Add oil, rapini and season with salt/pepper/crushed red.
4. Cook, tossing/stirring, until bright green 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
6. Wipe out pan, heat over medium high heat and add sausage.
7. While cooking break sausage into small pieces.
8. Drain and build pizza.
9. Roll dough out into 10-12 rounds.
10. Brush dough with oil all the way to the edge
11. Top with havarti, lamb chorizo, rapini and goat cheese.
12. Place in oven and bake until golden and gooey, 7-8 minutes.
13. Remove pizza, slice and serve.
The Best Pizza Dough Ever
2 Cups-Warm Water
2 Tablespoon-Active Dry Yeast
¼ Cup-Granulated Sugar
¼ Cup- Olive/Canola/Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon-Kosher Salt
5 ½-6 Cups-All Purpose/Bread Flour
1. Combine warm water with yeast and sugar.
2. Set timer and let rise for 10 minutes.
3. Warm bowl of stand up mixer/mixing bowl with warm water.
4. Add yeast water to bowl and add oil, salt and 5 cups of the flour.
5. Add bowl to stand up mixer and attach the dough hook.
6. Mix on low speed until a sticky ball of dough is formed, add remaining flour if necessary.
7. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover, set timer for one hour and let rise.
8. Divide into two potions, roll into balls and use immediately.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less