Artwork by four Gaston Day School students is appearing in the N.C. National Art Honor Society Traveling Student Art Show through late April.
Work by juniors John Carstarphen and Lida Hixson, both of Belmont, and sophomores Claire Lamadrid of Belmont and Christopher Sutton of Gastonia will be on display through Friday at the N.C. Center for the Advancement of Teaching in Ocracoke; Feb. 10-28 at NCCAT Cullowhee; March 10-28 at UNC Pembroke; and April 7-25 at Charlotte’s Mint Museum.
For John’s piece, he drew a tree using a ballpoint pen, cut out the negative space or background, then mounted it on brown butcher paper so it was slightly lifted off the paper. Lida’s art is a linoleum block print of a walkway in the Henry Center at Gaston Day School.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.