The winter storm that is expected to hammer the South over the next 24 hours is causing disruptions in commercial airline schedules, including flights from Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
With winter storm warnings in effect from Texas to the Carolinas coast, both Delta Airlines and US Airways say they are relaxing the restrictions on passengers who reschedule flights.
Delta, with a major hub in Atlanta, already has announced a number of flight cancellations Tuesday morning.
And as of 7:20 a.m., US Airways already had announced cancellations of Tuesday morning flights to Houston, Wilmington, Baton Rouge, La., and Florence, S.C.
US Airways says passengers who had flights scheduled Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday can reschedule them through Sunday if those flights were to any of these airports:
North Carolina: Fayetteville, Greenville, Jacksonville, New Bern, Raleigh-Durham, Wilmington
South Carolina: Charleston, Columbia, Florence, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach
Virginia: Newport News, Norfolk
Delta said passengers with flights scheduled Tuesday or Wednesday can reschedule them through Saturday if the flights were to airports in any of these states:
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.