A carbon monoxide leak at Shiloh Institutional Baptist Church in west Charlotte sent six people to the hospital Saturday afternoon.
A Charlotte Fire Department hazardous materials team responded to a 2:30 p.m. call about a suspected leak at the church at 2400 Greenland Ave.
About 15 people were meeting there, and one person became dizzy and nauseated, said battalion chief Dale Brown. When others also started feeling ill, someone called 911.
Officials found the building to have about 1,000 parts per million of carbon monoxide, Brown said. Thats very high, he said, adding that carbon monoxide detectors typically record maximum readings of 400 ppm.
Gilda Harris, a church member, said she heard that the six taken to the hospital were just getting checked out and that she expected them to be fine.
Sunday services at the church have been canceled this weekend, Harris said.
Brown said the leak came from a problem with the buildings gas heating system.
I encourage everyone to have their heating system checked on a regular basis, at least annually, he said. He also recommended carbon monoxide detectors.
Its fortunate someone knew to call 911, he said. He advised people to recognize the odorless gas if someone suddenly becomes dizzy, nauseated or unresponsive.
Its absolutely deadly, Brown said. Thats why its called the silent killer.
Ruebens: 704-358-5294; Twitter: @lruebens
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less