Twenty-one Charlotte-area high school seniors were chosen among thousands of applicants as regional semifinalists in the national Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship.
Those selected were:
Charlotte – Kyle Tatich, Butler High; Avery Faucette, Charlotte Catholic; Courtney Sheets, Hough; Anna Osment, Myers Park;, Bryce Cracknell and Emily Yue, North Mecklenburg High; Allen Bosbyshell, Northwest School of the Arts; Marquitta Howard and Erica Williams, Phillip O. Berry Academy of Technology; Jacqueline Fogarty, Ryan Herrera and Brandon Jocher, Providence High;
Gastonia – Matt Boaz, Forestview High, Jonathan Griffin, Hunter Huss High;
Indian Trail – Rebecca Zielkie, Porter Ridge High;
Monroe – Martha Lopez, Piedmont High;
Waxhaw – Dana King, Christina Kresser and Alexander Mills, Marvin Ridge High;
Fort Mill – Ross Lordo and Mitchell Russell, Fort Mill High.
The students will learn soon whether they are among 250 regional finalists nationwide. In the program, students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, as well as their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.