Charlotte Douglas International Airport is not moving forward yet with plans to renovate and expand a concourse, officials said Monday, after a request for a firm to design the project was erroneously posted last week by the city.
According to the request, which has since been removed from the airports website, the Concourse B expansion will be 100,000 square feet and 12 gates on the southeast end of Concourse B. Along with the gates, the project will also include concessions, bathrooms and office space.
The posting had been a staff mistake, airport spokeswoman Lee Davis said Monday. Interim Deputy Aviation Director Jack Christine said the airport is still in the planning phase of the project, and a request for qualifications to design it will be posted later.
The airport has said the Concourse B expansion is expected to cost $70 million, to be paid with airport bonds.
Interim Aviation Director Brent Cagle said last month that Charlotte Douglas will soon finalize plans for a revamp of the majority of the passenger terminal, replacing aging equipment and outdated fixtures.
Charlotte is the second-busiest hub in the new American Airlines system after the carriers merger with US Airways. American and US Airways account for about 90 percent of daily departures at Charlotte Douglas.
Executives have said they expect to add flights to more mid-size cities in the Midwest from Charlotte, and new seasonal international routes to four European cities start this summer.
Portillo: 704-358-5041; Twitter: @ESPortillo
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less