Healthy school lunch ideas
Here is another school lunch summary post of what Ive been packing for my daughters (and sharing almost daily on Facebook)!
To learn more about the lunches I pack here are some links
- Our favorite school lunch supplies including the commonly pictured plastic Ziploc divided containers (each compartment is leak-proof).
- Everything you could ever want to know about those colorful smoothie pop molds used in some lunches.
- The reason we dont track protein.
- Our recipe index where youll find a lot of the recipes pictured below.
- Readers sometimes ask what these lunches look like after they are tossed all around in the backpack so check out The Life Cycle of a School Lunch where I share before and after pictures.
- There are also some previous posts similar to this one: School Lunch Roundup I, School Lunch Roundup II, School Lunch Roundup III, School Lunch Roundup IV, and Nut-Free School Lunches.
Also be sure to check out our School Lunch FAQs with other info including what I do to prevent apples from turning brown!
School Lunch Roundup Photos
- BLTs on whole-wheat (with organic bacon, local tomato, and local lettuce)
- Organic Kettle brand potato chips (a rare treat!)
- Wild cherry tomatoes (from the farmers market)
- Apple slices
- (Make your own pizza lunch ) Sliced whole-wheat pitas
- Organic tomato sauce
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh mozzarella and (local) tomato
- Whole-wheat pretzels
- Homemade onion dip (recipe will be in my upcoming cookbook)
- Prosciutto wrapped mozzarella
- Sliced apples
- Baby carrots
- Whole-wheat pretzels (from Trader Joes)
- Salad with (local) tomatoes, parmesan cheese & olive oil
- 100% whole-wheat and organic boxed mac and cheese (by Annies) mixed with peas
- Lasagna (made with whole-wheat noodles, grass-fed beef, pastured pork sausage, organic tomato sauce, and cheese of course!)
- Salad (lettuce, toasted sunflower seeds, parmesan cheese, olive oil)
- Mini carrot applesauce muffins
- Peanut butter & honey sandwich on whole-wheat
- Salad (spinach, almonds, parmesan, raisins, olive oil)
- Plain yogurt mixed with a little pure maple syrup and topped with frozen raspberries
- Leftover spaghetti sauce mixed with some noodles and steamed broccoli
- Organic dried apples
- Leftover whole-wheat garlic toast
- Cinnamon/raisin/walnut bread and organic cream cheese sandwich
- A little cheese wheel
- Carrots and frozen peas
- 1-ingredient store bought applesauce
- A hard boiled egg
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less