Competitors Wesley and Will Blair and Eli Wulfhorst
Kameron Shull getting picked up after his turn in the Boom Division
Jeff, Allison, Will, Wesley and baby Walker Blair
Dustin and Keeli Fry of Denver
McCorkle family watches the tournament
Haley Orahood with her dog Bella
Barefoot Challenge winner Peter Fleck
35th Annual Lake Norman New Years Day Barefoot Challenge
By Sam Boykin | Photography by Sue Sidzina
Posted: Monday, Feb. 10, 2014
Seven-time national barefoot skiing endurance champion Peter Fleck added another accomplishment to his resume when he won the 35th Annual Lake Norman New Years Day Barefoot Challenge. The event, held at Lake Norman Marina in Sherrills Ford, is one of the longest-running barefoot water ski tournaments in the world. John Gillette, the announcer for the event and former world barefoot team member, also competed in the event, and helped raised nearly $700 for Samaritans Feet, a Charlotte-based ministry that provides shoes for millions of impoverished children around.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.