Serve these flavorful shrimp fajitas for a weeknight meal, or make a bigger batch for a group feast. The shrimp marinade in the recipe works well, but if pressed for time you could substitute a purchased fajita sauce.
Corn and black bean salad is a festive, colorful side dish. Here’s how to make it: Toss 1 cup frozen corn kernels (defrosted) and 1 cup low-sodium black beans (rinsed and drained) with 1/4 cup reduced-fat vinaigrette. Spoon into 2 large romaine lettuce leaves.
• The onion and bell pepper can be sauteed in advance. Warm for a minute and add the shrimp to cook just before serving.
• To quickly defrost frozen corn, place in a colander in the sink and run hot water over it.
• Warmed tortillas can be wrapped in foil and kept warm for an hour.
• Marinate the shrimp.
• Prepare remaining ingredients.
• Make salad and set aside.
• Make fajitas.
To buy: 3/4 pound uncooked, peeled shrimp; 1 red bell pepper; 1 small package 8-inch flour tortillas; 1 bottle chili powder; 1 bottle ground cumin; 1 package frozen corn kernels; 1 can black beans; 1 head romaine lettuce.
Staples: Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, onion, reduced-fat vinaigrette dressing, salt, black peppercorns.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less