Maryann Kauffman, widow of slain Rowan County firefighter Marco Kauffman, gave birth to a baby boy Friday morning, according to a Facebook page dedicated to the shooting victim.
Maryann Kauffman reported that the boy weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces, and was 21 inches long. She said he will be named for his father, Marcus Landon Trace.
“Thanks so much for the prayers,” Maryann Kauffman wrote on the Facebook page. “He’s finally here! Marcus Landon Trace. My handsome little guy. I’m so in love already.”
Marco and Maryann Kauffman were returning to their western Rowan County home from a Thanksgiving weekend trip on Dec. 2, when they saw a car parked near their residence.
Marco Kauffman left his pregnant wife at a neighbor’s house and then went to check on his home. Rowan County sheriff’s deputies say they received a 911 call from someone, thought to be Marco Kauffman, who said he had stumbled across burglars at his home.
Deputies say Kauffman apparently was trying to drive away when someone fired two shots into the back window of his car. One of the bullets struck Kauffman in the head. He was hospitalized but died several weeks later.
Four men were arrested in connection with the case. Two of the suspects were charged with murder.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.