Employees who were stranded overnight this week at Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center didn’t expect the Hilton or the Ritz. But they did get Godiva chocolates on their pillows.
Ann Williams, clinical shift manager in the emergency department, and charge nurse Kristin Steinhaus wanted the makeshift sleeping accommodations to be as comfortable and “hotel-like” as possible.
So they adorned each gurney with a towel and wash cloth and an orange biohazard bag filled with toiletries. They purloined some Godiva chocolates and candy hearts with Valentine’s Day message from a stash in their supervisor’s office and placed one atop each pillow.
Twelve ER nurses and technicians stay overnight Wednesday. When they got back from dinner, they found the goodies.
“They were shocked,” Williams said. “They were super happy.”
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.