The Charlotte 49ers couldn't get a shot off in the final seconds Saturday and dropped a 64-62 decision to Alabama-Birmingham in a Conference USA basketball game at Halton Arena.
It was the fifth consecutive loss for the 49ers (14-12, 5-8), who play at East Carolina on Thursday. UAB improves to 17-10, 6-7.
The Blazers had taken a two-point lead on a tip-in by Fahro Alihodzic with 12.1 seconds left
But the 49ers' Pierria Henry had the ball stripped by Blazers guard Chad Frazier, who dribbled out the clock to end the game.
Henry, whose 3-pointer tied the game 62-62 with 41 seconds left, led the 49ers with 16 points, with Terrence Williams scoring 14 and Shawn Lester 12.
Frazier, who is from Charlotte and played at Concord's First Assembly Christian, scored 16 for the Blazers.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.