DAVIDSON, N.C . De’Mon Brooks scored 18 points on 6-of-6 shooting and had eight rebounds, pacing a balanced Davidson attack in a 59-49 win over Wofford to push further ahead in the Southern League standings.
The Wildcats (17-11, 13-1) shot 52.4 percent from the field, with Tyler Kalinoski scoring 10 points and five other players chipping in at least five for Davidson. Brooks was 6 of 7 on free throws.
Wofford (16-11, 10-4) was held to 17-of-50 shooting (34 percent) and was outrebounded 33-24. Spencer Collins finished with 16 points and Karl Cochran added 15.
Entering the second half tied at 26, Tom Droney hit a 3-pointer to ignite a 16-4 run, pushing the Wildcats to a 10-point lead at the midway mark.
Wofford pulled within three with 5:35 remaining, but Brooks responded with a three-point play, two jumpers and a pair of free throws, sparking an 11-4 surge to close the game.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.