CIAA officials have called a news conference for Monday afternoon to discuss “future years of the men’s and women’s basketball tournament,” amid speculation that the event might be staying in Charlotte.
The news conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Charlotte Convention Center.
The location of the news conference – in Charlotte – and the fact that Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon is scheduled to be at the event fuels speculation that CIAA officials have decided to keep the tournament in Charlotte.
The CIAA, based in Hampton, Va., has held the tournament in Charlotte for nine years, but the contract between the two parties ended after this year’s event, which came to an end Saturday night. The deal called for the CIAA to hold the tournament in Charlotte, and in return, the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority paid the conference $1 million for scholarships and tournament expenses.
Charlotte officials estimate the tournament annually brings $40 million in revenue from visitors and fills 40,000 hotel rooms.
CIAA Commissioner Jacqie Carpenter, who is also scheduled to be at Monday afternoon’s news conference, said recently that the league has received interest from a number of other cities to serve as host.
Some experts said last month that the CIAA might be looking for more money from the tournament’s host city.
Lyttle: 704-358-6107; Twitter: @slyttle
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less