Here's how CMS and charter schools serving Mecklenburg students fared on new teacher effectiveness ratings based on results of 2013 state exams.
Statewide, 56 percent of teachers met the goal and 23.3 percent exceeded it. Yellow dots indicate schools within 10 percentage points of the state total of 79.3 percent meeting or exceeding the target. Red dots indicate those more than 10 percentage points below, and green dots show schools more than 10 percentage points above.
Teachers rated include fourth- and fifth-grade classroom teachers; middle school language arts, math, science and social studies teachers; teachers of 15 high school courses that had state final or end-of-course exams; and teachers of more than 25 career-technical courses with state exams. For small schools and most elementary schools, percentages are based on small numbers of teachers. Schools that had fewer than five teachers rated had no reported results.
Source: N.C. Department of Public Instruction
Read Observer reporter Ann Doss Helms' story: New reports reveal hidden success and struggles in N.C. schools
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.