YORK A 57-year-old man was arrested after police say he struck a 13-year-old girl with his car in a Walmart parking lot, according to a York Police report.
Barry Eugene West, a Clover resident, was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and public disorderly conduct after an incident on March 8.
A girl was returning a shopping cart in the stores parking lot when a car backed into her. According to the report, the girls mother and two other witnesses saw West exit his vehicle after the incident and yell to the girl, You shouldnt have been (expletive) texting.
West was then seen entering the store.
West told police that he saw the girl texting on her phone and standing in the parking lot. He also told police that he heard his car hit something as he was backing up but assumed it was the shopping cart and didnt realize he had hit the girl.
The girl was taken to Piedmont Medical Center for pain in her ankle, wrist and head, the report states.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.