Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments

GM chief expresses remorse at House hearing

By Bill Vlasic and Matthew L. Wald
New York Times
General Motors Recall Congress
Evan Vucci - AP
General Motors CEO Mary Barra lowers her eyeglasses as she testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, , before the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee on Oversight and Investigation. The committee is looking for answers from Barra about safety defects and the mishandled recall of 2.6 million small cars with a faulty ignition switch that's been linked to 13 deaths and dozens of crashes.

WASHINGTON After a series of blistering statements from lawmakers Tuesday, General Motors’ chief executive, Mary Barra, expressed deep remorse at a House hearing for the automaker’s decadelong failure to recall defective vehicles linked to 13 deaths.

But Barra offered scant new information in her opening remarks about how and why GM repeatedly failed to fix faulty ignition switches on Chevrolet Cobalts and other compact cars, despite conducting multiple internal studies of the problem since 2001.

“I cannot tell you why it took years for a safety defect to be announced in that program, but I can tell you that we will find out,” she said, adding, “I am deeply sorry.”

In her testimony, Barra was expected to make news by announcing that GM had hired a global safety director. She did that, but she also said GM had hired Kenneth Feinberg, a lawyer who specializes in apportioning restitution payments in major disasters.

Her appearance before a subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee represented a significant new phase in the company’s crisis since it issued recalls that began in February for 2.6 million Cobalts and other vehicles.

Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Pa., chairman of the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee, said: “What we have here is a failure to communicate, and the results were deadly.”

Members of Congress and the families of people killed in GM cars are urging Barra to declare the cars unsafe to drive until new ignition switches are installed. So far, GM has said the vehicles are safe to operate as long as there are no objects attached to the ignition key.

And GM is coming under increasing pressure from lawmakers to establish a fund to compensate victims of accidents in recalled models.

The chairman of the House committee, Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., said the hearing was the first step in discovering why GM did not recall flawed vehicles sooner, and why the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not formally investigate the possibility of defects after reports of fatal accidents.

Besides the congressional inquiry, the company’s actions are under investigation by NHTSA, which itself is being scrutinized, and the Justice Department. In addition, several lawsuits have been filed on behalf of the families of accident victims.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
CharlotteObserver.com