Ten Charlotte-area students were named this week as winners of Achievement Scholarship awards as part of the National Merit Scholarship program.
The students were among 800 African-American high school seniors across the nation to win scholarships in the annual competition, which offers more than $2 million in awards.
The area winners comprised four from Mecklenburg County, three from Union County, two from York County and one from Catawba County.
Charlotte-area winners and their probable career fields:
• Brianna Hardeo, Cato Middle College; physical therapy.
• Ebony Hargro, North Mecklenburg High; human rights.
• Tranice Warner, Cato Middle College; civil engineering.
• Christian White, Charlotte Latin; electrical engineering.
• Kyle Danner, Maiden High; mechanical engineering.
• Adrienne Bonar, Marvin Ridge High; mechanical engineering.
• Cara Edwards, Marvin Ridge High; international relations.
• Fhoenix Frager, Marvin Ridge High; anesthesiology.
• Nathaniel Brown, Rock Hill High; statistics.
• Kristen Tucker, Rock Hill High; chemical engineering.
Lyttle: 704-358-6107; Twitter: @slyttle
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less