RALEIGH Federal investigators have accused two more people of participating in a bizarre plot orchestrated from inside a North Carolina prison to kidnap the father of a Wake County prosecutor.
The FBI is offering a reward and asking for the publics help in locating the suspects in the interstate scheme.
Arrest warrants unsealed in federal court on Tuesday night reveal more details about the April 5 kidnapping of Frank Janssen, the 63-year-old father of Wake County prosecutor Colleen Janssen.
Quantavios Thompson, also known as Kirkwood Quan or Quan, and Jakym Camel Tibbs, 21, have been charged federally with using a stun gun to immoblize Janssen on April 5 when he answered a knock on the door to his home in the Heritage golf community in northern Wake County.
Federal investigators contend the two men then worked with two women to forcefully remove Frank Janssen from his home and transport him to Georgia, where he was held in an apartment against his will.
Six others have been charged in the scheme that created a four-day interstate manhunt that ended with Janssens reunion with his family on April 10.
Federal authorities used a McDonalds restaurant receipt found on the floor of Janssens home to identify Thompson and Tibbs.
Texts from contraband phone
Kelvin Melton, a 49-year-old man serving a life sentence in the Polk Correctional Institution in Butner, is accused of being the organizer of the kidnapping plot.
Melton was convicted in October 2012 of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inflict serious injury. He also was found guilty of being a habitual felon. Colleen Janssen, an assistant district attorney in Wake County, prosecuted the cases.
Prosecutors allege that Melton sent more than 120 texts from a contraband cellphone that he had in prison.
Through a network of people contacted outside prison walls, authorities say, Melton had Janssen removed from his home, forced into a rented car and hidden in an apartment near a Georgia prison.
In texts and phone calls, prosecutors allege, Melton and his cohorts issued threats and demands to Janssens wife and discussed how they might kill the securities firm consultant.
Suspects made fast-food stop
In the documents unsealed Tuesday, investigators say that Tibbs and Thompson traveled in a rented silver Nissan Versa from Georgia to Wake Forest the first weekend in April.
While on the road to North Carolina, according to the complaint, the men stopped at a McDonalds in Lexington, S.C. A review of security camera footage from the fast-food restaurant helped investigators identify Tibbs and Thompson as two of the eight defendants now accused in the scheme.
Five of the accused were in federal court in Atlanta on Tuesday. Some asked to be freed on bond, but prosecutors told the judge presiding over the hearing that other suspects were at large.
Melton, described in court documents as a high-ranking member of the Bloods gang, faces a federal charge in North Carolina of conspiracy to kidnap.
The FBI is offering a $25,000 reward for tips that lead to the arrest of Thompson and Tibbs.
Thompson is described as being 18 or 19 years old, 5 foot 7 or 5 foot 8 and about 190 to 210 pounds.
Tibbs, 20, is 5 foot 7 and weighs 155 to 165 pounds. He is from New York.
My office will continue to pursue everyone involved with this crime, U.S. Attorney Thomas G. Walker said in a statement. This deliberate attack on our judicial system cannot be tolerated.
Janssen was rescued from an Atlanta apartment last week, five days after his abduction.
The court documents unsealed Tuesday night offer details of the perilous journey that Janssen was forced to make from his Wake Forest home to Georgia.
Investigators contend the two suspects still at large forced Janssen down on the floorboard below the backseat of the rented Nissan Versa during the trip south.
Janssens family has asked for their privacy and not spoken publicly about the incident.
The case raised questions about the easy access to mobile phones inside prison walls.
Blythe: 919-836-4948; AnneBlythe1 on Twitter
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less