MIAMI Bobcats coach Steve Clifford was up in the air about whether hed tighten his playing rotation for the playoffs. Clearly he didnt, playing nine guys in the first half. The only ones who didnt check in: Jannero Pargo, Anthony Tolliver and DJ White.
Clifford was asked before the game by the Miami media how his team has been so stingy with turnovers. He said thats partially about a conservative approach to the fast-break. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is the only non-point guard allowed to bring the ball up-court in transition.
• Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy lived bi-coastal existences during the weekend Saturday in California, calling the first Clippers-Warriors game, then in Florida early enough to call the Bobcats and Heat with a 3:30 p.m. tipoff.
ABC chartered a plane to get Breen and Van Gundy, plus several key production people, from one side of the country to the other with time to spare.
• The Bobcats were scheduled to fly home to Charlotte after Game 1, then fly back to Miami on Tuesday after practice. Based on their history, the Heat would have done just the opposite, staying in Charlotte between Games 1 and 2.
Maybe thats a sign of the difference in the two cities: You can find many more distractions along South Beach than in the Queen City.
• The Bobcats losing streak to the Heat is now at 17. The Heat has won 18 of 21 games against the Bobcats played at American Airlines Arena.
• The Heat played without Michael Beasley, who is still recovering from an ankle injury. The Bobcats entered the game with no recent injuries.
• Several bomb-sniffing dogs scrutinized luggage brought through the loading dock at American Airlines Arena on Sunday afternoon. Thinking those dogs werent fond of sniffing my used workout clothes.
• The NBA makes every team read warnings at home games about not throwing objects or shouting obscenities, etc. Some teams spice up the presentation. The Heat raps the instructions. Pretty clever and funny.
• Plantar fascia injuries like the one Al Jefferson suffered can be extremely painful. Dell Curry once described it like someone is holding a lighter to the bottom of your foot for hours at a time.
• I like that Bobcats associate head coach Patrick Ewing dresses boldly. His plaid sports coat was tough to miss.
• Looks like former Duke star Shane Battier has fallen out of the Heats rotation this playoff series.
• Chris Douglas-Roberts has a lot of tattoos, but he doesnt come close to the body art on the Heats Chris Birdman Andersen.
By the numbers
6 Number of turnovers by Bobcats point guard Kemba Walker. That matched his high for any game in the regular season.
12 Number of consecutive playoff series where the Heat has won at least one road game. No wonder it was no big deal to cede the top seed in the Eastern Conference to the Indiana Pacers.
16 Heat first-half free throws, compared with four for the Bobcats.
26 Total Heat free-throw attempts, compared with 12 for the Bobcats.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less