Recently I introduced couponing to a friend. She was hesitant to start because she assumed couponing meant time and hassle. Not so! Here are five small steps to get into couponing using just an hour a week:
Clip: Typically it takes about 10 minutes to clip coupons or print them from such websites as Coupon.com or SmartSource.com. Don’t clip every coupon. Just clip or print coupons for items you normally buy.
Scan: Scan the grocery inserts looking for sales and identify items where you have a corresponding coupon. Search for proteins for your weekly menu.
Plan: Spend the next 20 minutes planning your weekly menu around what’s on sale.
List: Make a list (I use an envelope) and categorize what you need to buy according to the area of the store. Organize your coupons accordingly.
Save: I promise that within a few weeks, the amount of time it takes to clip, scan, plan and list will decrease, along with your grocery bill.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.