Winthrop University is the only South Carolina college included on an international list that recognizes campuses for sustainability and green practices.
The 2014 GreenMetric University Sustainability Rankings by Universitas Indonesia lists Winthrop at 203 of 301 schools worldwide. Compared to other colleges in the U.S., Winthrop ranks 42 of 50.
The University of Nottingham in England took the top spot in the worldwide rankings.
Schools were judged on various factors including waste management practices, water use and education efforts on sustainability matters. The rankings seek to draw more attention to global climate change, energy and water conservation, waste recycling and green transportation.
The recent sustainability recognition follows last years honor for Winthrop when the school was named to the Princeton Reviews Guide to 322 Green Colleges.
For more information on Winthrops green programs, visit the schools sustainability website.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.