May offers great deals for outdoor enthusiasts, gardeners and lovers of fresh produce:
• May is National Bike Month, and BikeCharlotte.org has a list of free organized bike rides all around town.
• Cinco De Mayo is May 5, and grocery stores will offer deals on tortillas, salsa and Mexican adult beverages such as Corona, Dos Equis and Tecate.
• The month ends with the long weekend of Memorial Day, a perfect time to fire up the grill. Look for good deals on paper plates, condiments, soda, chips and more.
• On the produce aisle expect discounts on artichokes, asparagus, avocado, blackberries, corn, melons, raspberries, peaches and strawberries.
• At your local home improvement stores, you’ll find discounts on flats and hanging baskets of bedding plants such as petunias, geraniums and pansies, as well as garden plants such as tomatoes, peppers and various herbs.
• May is also National Fitness and Sports Month. With the weather getting nicer and more people wanting to exercise outdoors, fitness centers will offer deep membership discounts to fill their gyms. Visit HealthClubs.com/GetActiveAmerica in May for discounted activities and workout classes in your area.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less