Blast off to a world where science fiction meets science fact, as Discovery Place brings the science of Star Wars to Charlotte for May the Fourth Be With You on Sunday, May 4. Join the dark side or channel your inner Jedi as you feel the force to explore the galaxy like never before.
In partnership with Carolina Garrison - Members the 501st Legion, come meet your favorite Star Wars characters, including Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Jedi and more! Guests are welcome to come in costume, but as Master Yoda reminds us, Your weapons, you will not need them, so please leave your props at home as no weapons will be allowed in the Museum. Other activities include:
- In A Galaxy Far, Far Away Star Show take a trip among the stars in our portable planetarium show. Educators will guide you through the solar system that is out of this world.
- Fired Up! Planet Alderaan edition Oxygen, heat and fuel form the fire triangle, but when dark forces are involved, who knows what will happen. Join our Discovery Place Educator and special Lab Assistant, Darth Vader for this explosive show.
- Sub Zero, Hoth edition Explore cold chemistry that can be found on the planet Hoth, the desolate world covered with ice and snow. A lot can happen at -320оF.
- Hubble Take a journey into the stars without even leaving your seat! Witness the death of star and birth of a galaxy millions of light years away with images from the Hubble telescope on the largest IMAX screen in the Carolinas.
- Young Padawan Parade For younger guests, join Princess Leia in KidScience for a special Padawan costume parade (for guests ages seven and younger).
- May The Force Be With You mini light sabers take the force home with you in this special light saber workshop. Construct your own lightsaber using 3D-printed parts and LED lights (while supplies last).
All of these events will happen throughout the day, so be sure to pick up a Visitor Guide at the Admissions Desk for activity times and locations.
Looking for more space exploration? Dont miss the upcoming GES produced exhibition Alien Worlds & Androids, opening June 28 at Discovery Place. This exhibition will explore the exciting work of scientists in their search for alien life in and beyond our solar system and the deepest reaches of our own planet. Check out androids like C3PO who is featured in the exhibition. Cutting-edge science and intelligent technology bursts through the dark, space-like, atmosphere of the exhibition as it showcases the slippery creatures, high-functioning robots and celestial elements youve only seen in the movies. You wont want to miss it!
Alien Worlds & Androids will be on exhibition at Discovery Place from June 28-September 14, 2014 and is free with Museum admission. Admission to Discovery Place is $15 for adults (14-59); $12 for children (2-13) or seniors (60+); and free for children younger than 2. IMAX tickets may be added for an additional $5 per person with Museum admission. Discounts are available for groups of 15 or more. Children age 13 and younger must be accompanied by a responsible adult while in Discovery Place. For more information call 704.372.6261 x300, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit discoveryplace.org.