↑ Providence Day girls soccer: Chargers beat Charlotte Christian 7-0 Monday to finish CISAA conference play unbeaten and unscored on. The Chargers begin NCISAA state tournament play next week.
↑ Hough-Myers Park girls soccer Wednesday: Two of the state’s top teams play at Myers Park Wednesday at 4:30 p.m., and both will wear special jerseys to honor Grier Christenbury, a friend of both teams who passed away at age 9 after a seven-year battle with cancer. Some of the game proceeds will go to cancer research.
↑ Erica Propst, Maiden track: At a regional meet Saturday, Propst won the 100-meters, tying a meet record, won the 200-meters, anchored a winning 800-meter relay team and anchored a 400-meter relay team that finished third. She’s also an accomplished cheerleader.
↑ Porter Ridge baseball: Pirates started season 1-7-1 and have won 13 straight since.
Monday’s Top Performers
Camille Appleby, Providence Day girls soccer: Three goals in a 7-0 shutout over rival Charlotte Christian.
Carrie Eberle, Charlotte Catholic softball: 3-for-4 with a HR in 10-0 win over South Meck.
Carly Foy, North Iredell softball: Three RBIs in a 12-2 win over West Iredell in first round of North Piedmont tournament. She got two hits in four at-bats and scored once. Teammate Heather Josey was 2-for-4 with 3 RBIs.
Venus Gonzalez, Olympic softball: 3-for-4 with a HR in a 12-0 win over Berry in SoMeck first-round conference game. Teammates Ally Sherman (2-for-3, triple), Sam Bates (3-for-4, double, triple), Grace Beatty (2-for-2, two triples) and Lauryn Whitted (3-for-4) all had strong games.
Bradley Hallman, Casey Dziuk, SouthLake Christian baseball: Pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts in a 4-2 win over Cannon.
Eric Jones, South Meck baseball: 2-for-2 with two home runs and six RBIs in a 15-1 win over West Meck in the first round of the SoMeck 8 tournament. Teammate Max Bazin was 3-for-3 with an RBI for the Sabres (18-6).
Aaron Pilkington, Ardrey Kell baseball: Catcher was 3-for-3 with nine RBIs in a 23-0 win over Harding.
Charlotte Catholic baseball 5, Olympic 3: Cougars catcher Tommy Miller had a big game in an opening round SoMeck 8 conference tournament game. He had six putouts, an assist and was 2-for-3 batting with a run scored and two more batted in. Catholic scored four runs in the first inning and made it stand up. Catholic pitcher Nick Bruno threw a complete seven-inning game and had six strikeouts.
Gaston Day girls soccer 1, Hickory Christian 0: Gaston Day won the SPAA Tournament championship Monday, getting a goal from Morgan Whitesides in the 20th minute of the second half. Susan Wilkerson got her ninth shutout of the season for the Spartans (10-4-1).
Alexander Central softball 20, Statesville 0: Alexander Central scored 16 runs in the second inning and the game was stopped after the top of the third. Taylor Wike went 2-for-3 with four RBIs and Averi Miller was 3-for-3 with three RBIs. Amanda Sports also had four RBIs for nationally ranked Alexander Central, which will play North Iredell in Tuesday’s 4:30 p.m. North Piedmont 3A/4A conference tournament.
• Berry’s Devarious Christian (basketball) signed with Wingate; Mahogany Baker (track) signed with East Carolina....Meggie Marten is the new girls volleyball coach at Cannon. She’ll teach PE at the school.
• Winthrop has offered Northside Christian junior forward Rayjon Tucker. Tucker is also getting interest from Clemson, George Mason and Virginia Commonwealth, according to recruiting analyst Justin Byerly.
• MAC All-Conference baseball: Devin Bagwell, SouthLake; Colby Bruce, Covenant Day; Christian Carpenter, Metrolina; Jacob Carte, Hickory Grove; Matt Denham, Gaston Christian; Peter Englert, Covenant Day; Brad Hallman, SouthLake; Sam Holtel, Westminster; Spencer Hutchinson, Covenant Day; Griffin Love, Concord First Assembly; Seth Morgan, Northside; Aaron Stewart, Metrolina; Trey Timmerman, Metrolina; Riley Zayicek, SouthLake
• MAC All-Conference girls soccer: Janey Bunton, Westminster; Jaela Graham, SouthLake; Taylor Helms, Gaston Christian; Janie Holland, Metrolina; Abby Hoover, Gaston Christian; Allison Kaika, Covenant Day; Lexie Lamb, First Assembly; Emiko LeNeave, Covenant Day; Emily Lipinski, SouthLake; Caitlyn Logan, Metrolina; Michaela Mayberry, Concord First Assembly; Alina McCue, Covenant Day; Olivia Schmitke, Gaston Christian; Favour Spear, Gaston Christian; Ania Syska, Hickory Grove; Paige Thompson, Metrolina Christian; Skylar Ulry, Covenant Day
• MAC All-Conference softball: Brooke Bagwell, SouthLake; Logan Bjorson, Metrolina; Macy Bjorson, Metrolina; Cheyenne Bricken, Metrolina; Amanda Dobner, Hickory Grove; Alanna Freeman, Gaston Christian; Hannah Gordon, Metrolina; Hunter Hoskins, Hickory Grove; Regan Hunycutt, Hickory Grove; Sophie Ivey, Metrolina; Madison Ramsey, Gaston Christian; Brooke Story, Northside; Emily Ward, Hickory Grove; Gabbi Wilson, Gaston Christian
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less