Newton police are looking for the suspect they believe was involved in the armed robbery of a convenience store Thursday night.
Police were called to the Kangaroo station at 334 E. 20th St. around 11:30 p.m. after a report of an armed robbery.
Officers were told at the scene that the suspect came into the store wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, gas mask and some type of brown glove.
The suspect approached the clerk with a large knife and demanded all the money in the register, according to police.
After the clerk handed over the money, the suspect left through the front entrance and was last seen running west from the store, police said. After reviewing the security camera footage, it appears the suspect left the store the same way that they entered.
Anyone with information on this case or who cane help identify the suspect should call the Newton Police Department: 828-465-7430.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.