Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and noted Harvard University professor and researcher Atul Gawande will be among the commencement speakers at Carolinas college graduation ceremonies Sunday.
Dempsey will speak at the Duke University commencement exercises, and Gawande is keynote speaker for UNC Chapel Hill’s ceremonies.
Here is a schedule of college graduations Sunday and Monday in the Carolinas (all are Sunday except where noted; keynote speaker listed when available):
• Appalachian State University – 9 a.m. at Holmes Convocation Center, College of Arts and Sciences. Davidson College professor Magdalena Maiz-Pena. 1 p.m., at Broyhill Music Center, School of Music. Music educator Will Schmid. 3:30 p.m., at Holmes Center, College of Business. Chancellor Kenneth Peacock. Other graduations took place Saturday.
• Barton College – 1:30 p.m., on campus. Anita Brown-Graham, director of Institute for Emerging Issues.
• Duke University – 10 a.m., Wallace Wade Stadium. Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
• UNC Chapel Hill – 10 a.m., Kenan Stadium. Atul Gawande, surgeon, Harvard professor and founder of Lifebox.
• Gardner-Webb University – 10 a.m. Monday, Lutz-Yelton Convocation Center.
Lyttle: 704-358-6107; Twitter: @slyttle
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less