The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department promoted 23 officers during a ceremony Monday at the Police Training Academy in southwest Charlotte.
Two officers were promoted to major level, and four were promoted to captain. The ceremony was part of National Police Week observances in Charlotte.
The CMPD promoted the following officers to major:
• Capt. Lisa Goelz; moved from Independence Division commander to Administrative Services Group.
• Capt. Andrew Kornberg; moved from Crash Unit-Special Events to Southeast Service area.
Promoted to captain were:
• Lt. Norman Garnes Jr.; moved from Metro Division to Providence Division.
• Staff Sgt. Torri Tellis; moved from Eastway Division to Community Services.
• Lt. Jonathan Thomas; moved from Hickory Grove Division to Watch Commander.
• Lt. Jim Wright; moved from University City Division to Eastway Division.
Promoted to lieutenant were:
• Sgt. Mike Barron; moved from ABC Enforcement to Westover Division.
• Sgt. Jeremiah Blow; moved from Metro Division to Independence Division.
• Sgt. Will Farrell; moved from Internal Affairs to Metro Division.
• Sgt. David Harris; moved from Hickory Grove Division to North Tryon Division.
• Sgt. Ryan Jackson; moved from University City Division to Hickory Grove Division.
• Sgt. Robert Whitley; moved from Arson-Bomb Squad to University City Division.
The following officers were promoted to sergeant. Their assignments are yet to be announced.
• Officer Michael Anderson, currently in Metro Division.
• Officer John Gorrod, currently in Metro Division.
• Officer John Jurbala, currently in Airport Division.
• Officer Gene Lim, currently in Westover Division.
• Officer Stephen Maloney, currently in Steele Creek Division.
• Officer David Miller, currently in Providence Division.
• Officer David Prince, currently in Freedom Division.
• Officer Christopher Rains, currently in Freedom Division.
• Officer Michael Sullivan, currently in University City Division.
• Officer David Sussman, currently in Metro Division.
• Officer Paul Wilson, currently in Central Division.
Lyttle: 704-358-6107; Twitter: @slyttle
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less