Law enforcement officers, their families and others from across York County came together Wednesday to remember the nine officers killed in the line of duty in the county since 1884.
The 19th Annual Police Honor and Memorial Service at First Baptist Church in Rock Hill sponsored by the governing board of the countys Multi-Jurisdictional Drug Enforcement Unit, the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 15 and the Sheriffs Foundation of York County also honored those who continue to put their lives on the line to protect the public.
Here are the officers who have been killed in the line of duty in York County, followed by their agencies and dates of death:
• Kevin Cusack, Highway Patrol, March 27, 2010
• James Brent McCants, York County Sheriffs Office, Sept. 25, 1992
• Steven Wayne Jordan, Rock Hill Police Department, Dec. 31, 1975
• William Singleton, Rock Hill Police Department, Nov. 9, 1968
• Garnett E. Dick Dabney, S.C. Alcohol Beverage Control, March 31, 1968
• Robert M. McFadden, Rock Hill Police Department, Nov. 3, 1933
• Elliott P. Harris, York County Police Department, July 17, 1932
• R.G. Johnston, Rock Hill Police Department, Jan. 18, 1906
• W.G. Durant, Fort Mill Police Department, Jan. 28, 1884
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less