When the Charlotte Bobcats officially become the Hornets on Tuesday, Bobcats mascot Rufus Lynx will be out of work.
Along with the return of the Hornets name, Hugo will also return as the team’s mascot. But before Rufus joins other retired mascots – the Seattle SuperSonics’ Squatch, Montreal Expos’ Screech, and Atlanta Thrashers’ Trash, among others – the Bobcats released a retirement video.
The Twitter account for Rufus tweeted out a link to the video with the message: “This is my final tweet. I love ya CLT! Fans! This journey has been an experience of a lifetime!”
The video shows Rufus coming backstage after the final game of the season and finding a to-do list that includes skydiving, running with the Bulls in Pamplona, paragliding, swimming with sharks, and going into space.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.