A man was hit and killed as he tried to cross University City Boulevard about 11:34 p.m. Saturday night, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police reported.
Police had not released the victims name.
Rena Laton was driving her 2004 Honda CRV inbound on the 10100 block on the road when she hit the victim as he was crossing, a police report said. Officers found the vicim in the median. Laton wasnt charged, but police said the fatality is still under investigation.
Medic pronounced him dead at 11:42 p.m. A witness, police said, saw the victim crossing the road and had to swerve to miss him. That was just before the Honda hit him, police said.
The CMPD Major Crash Investigation Unit was called in to investigate. Anyone with information about the incident should contact Detective R.C. Gormican at 704-432-2169 or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600. David Permutt
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.