Here are six surefire ways to host a great Memorial Day barbecue without watching your budget go up in smoke:
• Host a “Fill the Grill” party. Ask guests to bring a protein such as hotdogs or hamburgers to share, and you supply condiments.
• Pasta salad with a light Italian dressing and fresh vegetables is an inexpensive side dish.
• The worst way to end a barbecue is to spend hours cleaning up. Buy disposable plates, cups and utensils. Membership warehouses are ideal to score big discounts when buying in bulk.
• Use evite.com to create fun and free invitations, and skip customized invitations and mailing costs.
• Dollar stores offer lots of cheap ways to make the backyard look more festive.
• In your weekly grocery circulars, you will find sales on items such as hotdogs, mustard, and barbecue sauce. Look in Sunday’s paper for coupons on those items. Add color and something nutritious by taking advantage of in-season produce, such as strawberries, peaches and watermelon.
• Read the Deal Diva on MomsCharlotte.com for all the week’s best grocery deals, including all your barbecue party favorites.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less