GREENSBORO LaMonte Wade hit two homers, and Jake Stinnett pitched eight innings as Maryland beat Virginia 7-6 in the ACC tournament.
Wade’s two blasts Thursday were his first this year for the sixth-seeded Terrapins (35-19), while Kevin Martir hit a two-run shot in the seventh for a 6-4 lead.
Stinnett (7-6) had 10 strikeouts and threw 126 pitches, helping Maryland improve to 10-0 in May and set its season record for victories.
Nick Howard went 4-for-4 for third-seeded Virginia (43-12), while Joe McCarthy hit a two-run homer in the ninth to pull within a run. But reliever Kevin Mooney struck out John LaPrise with the tying run on first to end it.
Reliever David Rosenberger (1-1) took the loss, marking the first time Virginia has lost consecutive games all year.
Maryland plays No. 2 seed Florida State in Pool B on Friday, while Virginia plays seventh-seeded North Carolina.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.