Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments

Gastonia firefighters battle two cooking fires

By Ames Alexander
Staff Writer

Two cooking fires in a span of 14 hours kept Gastonia firefighters running Saturday night and Sunday morning.

At about 6:20 p.m. Saturday, a grease fire broke out on the stove of a house at 312 Hollifield Drive, according to Chris Stowe, a spokesman for the Gastonia Fire Department. The fire spread quickly to the walls and ceiling, causing about $40,000 worth of damage, Stowe said.

The Red Cross is helping to find temporary housing for the occupants.

The second fire, which was reported at 8:18 a.m. Sunday, occurred when someone at an apartment on 1819 Mountainbrook Drive left a pan on the stove top unattended, Stowe said.

Four apartments were damaged. The Red Cross is helping two families relocate.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
Your 2 Cents
Share your opinion with our Partners
Learn More
CharlotteObserver.com