Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments

House collapses after fire in Gastonia

A golf cart that was being recharged in a basement caused a fire that destroyed a house in Gastonia on Monday morning.

Firefighters who arrived at the one-story house at 2516 Georgemont Court about 10:30 a.m. found a heavy fire in the basement. Two people were in the house when the fire started but got out without injury, according to a report by the Gastonia Fire Department.

The floor of a bedroom collapsed into the basement, but firefighters checking the integrity of the house escaped in time and no injuries were reported.

Damages were estimated at $200,000 and the building was reported as a total loss. The cause was an electrical issue with the golf cart, which was plugged in to recharge.

Purvis: 704-358-5236
Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
Your 2 Cents
Share your opinion with our Partners
Learn More
CharlotteObserver.com