Lake Forest, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - Chicago Bears wide receiver Domenik Hixon announced on his Facebook account Tuesday that he tore his ACL for the third time.
Hixon also indicated that he will retire from the NFL.
"I tore my ACL today for the 3rd time today! I'm disappointed that I won't be playing for a bears team that has the players and coaches to WIN the Super Bowl," Hixon said. "I thank God for letting me live my dream of playing in the NFL for 8 years plus. It has truly been FUN!"
Hixon signed a one-year contract with the Bears in March.
The 29-year-old Hixon spent the 2013 season with Carolina after previously playing with the New York Giants and Denver Broncos. He had just seven catches for 55 yards with a touchdown last year for the Panthers.
The Akron product has 109 catches for 1,460 yards with seven touchdowns in 76 career games. He was part of two Super Bowl championship teams with the Giants and missed the entire 2010 season in New York because of a torn ACL.
He suffered his second ACL tear just two games into the 2011 season.
Hixon is also a return specialist, having averaged 24.6 yards with a touchdown on 80 kickoff returns and 10.7 yards with a score on 56 punt returns.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.