Save Money in this Sunday's paper

comments

N.C. House toughens carbon monoxide alerts

RALEIGH The N.C. House on Tuesday unanimously passed a bill broadening and clarifying laws on carbon monoxide alerts in hotels and other lodgings.

Passed 114-0, the bill mirrors a measure passed last month by the Senate and comes as a response to last year’s deaths at a Boone hotel.

Like the Senate measure, the bill would require carbon monoxide alarms, not just detectors, near heaters, appliances and fireplaces that burn combustion fuels. It applies to extended-stay tourist homes, bed and breakfast properties, as well as hotels.

The bill would rewrite portions of a law enacted last year after three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the Best Western in Boone. Jim Morrill

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search
Salary Databases
CharlotteObserver.com