All lanes of northbound Interstate 85 have reopened Wednesday afternoon after a wreck involving a tractor-trailer. But congestion remains in the area.
Medic said three people were taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries after the wreck, which was reported around 12:40 p.m. on I-85 near mile marker 45.
All northbound lanes were closed for about 45 minutes after the two-vehicle collision.
Just before 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, all lanes were open but traffic was moving at an average speed of 20 miles per hour.
Motorists who want to avoid the congestion can get off at Harris Boulevard and turn right, then turn left on North Tryon Street, then left on Mallard Creek Church Road back to I-85.
Charlotte firefighters were at the scene to try to control a fuel leak, according to a department spokesman. A hazardous materials team had been called out.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.