Observations from Wednesdays Carolina Panthers workout at the Bank of America Stadium practice fields:
• Byron Bell and Nate Chandler continued to flip offensive tackle positions, with Bell getting the first nod at left tackle. They struggled to pick up corner blitzes at times as defensive coordinator Sean McDermott goes deeper into his playbook during workouts.
• Along with Kugbila, guard Chris Scott and tackle Andrew McDonald were on the exercise bikes. Scott overheated at last Wednesdays practice, and Rivera said Scott had a recent illness that kept him sidelined this week.
• Tiquan Underwood doesnt have the initial quickness of Ted Ginn Jr., but once he gets going, hes just as tough to catch.
• Josh Norman picked off a Matt Blanchard pass after a high snap during red-zone drills. Norman ran it back for a touchdown one week after missing OTAs for a dentist appointment.
• The running backs are getting a good rotation, but DeAngelo Williams is impressing coaches with his explosiveness and burst when he gets touches.
• Luke Kuechly had a nice pass breakup in the corner of the end zone on a 20-plus-yard pass from Derek Anderson. Kuechly has been working on his pass coverage abilities this offseason.
• Second-year safety Robert Lester hasnt made much of an impact during OTAs while other defensive backs have. He faced a similar issue last year at training camp after starting hot in rookie camp.
• Linebacker Ben Jacobs and safety Anderson Russell are two under-the-radar guys to watch after two solid weeks of OTAs.
• Second-year running back Kenjon Barner hauled in a touchdown from Anderson on a wheel route in red zone drills. He beat linebacker Thomas Davis in coverage, and Barner received several congratulations from the Panthers running back group after the score.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less