Observations from Wednesday’s Carolina Panthers OTA practice in Charlotte:
• Guard Chris Scott missed practice for conditioning, health and “some other things,” Rivera said. Scott left practice early two weeks ago after overheating. Rookie Trai Truner started at right guard for most of practice.
• Guard Edmund Kugbila worked on the sideline with a trainer for the entire practice. He has not participated in practice since having MCL and PCL surgery last year. Fullback Michael Zordich (ACL) also worked on the side.
• Mario Addison got the majority of first-team reps at defensive end in place of Hardy.
• Cornerback Melvin White had a tight hip flexor midway through practice. Norman and Josh Thomas split first-team snaps in his place.
• Receiver Tavarres King had a nice catch on the sideline. On a pass from Derek Anderson, King got both feet down on an out route with Bene’ Benwikere in coverage.
• Receiver Brenton Bersin showed nice hands throughout the day.
• Undrafted rookies Carrington Byndom and David Foucault had rough outings Wednesday. Byndon, a cornerback, fell down in coverage on a completion to Tiquan Underwood and, on the next play, allowed another completion to Philly Brown. Later, quarterback Joe Webb sidestepped him on a keeper. Foucault, a tackle, couldn’t handle defensive end Wes Horton, who beat him badly on one play and then blocked him to the ground on the next play.
• Tackle Byron Bell played through a leg injury late in the day. Running back DeAngelo Williams called for a substitute before Bell shook off the injury and played the next snap.
• Safety Colin Jones had two interceptions on the day. He intercepted Matt Blanchard on a pass he juggled until he secured it going to the ground. Later he picked off Blanchard again on a deep pass for Bersin that was tipped by James Dockery.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less